So what do you think of it?

Discussions involving the main game of the guild.
Michael Zanetti
Web admin

So what do you think of it?

Postby Michael Zanetti » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:15 pm

So GW2 is released for a bit now - what are your feelings about it?

BlueTango
TBR Member

Re: So what do you think of it?

Postby BlueTango » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:40 pm

meh

needs gvg like gw1 or tombs
ImageImage

Cell
TBR Member

Postby Cell » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:31 pm

I like what i've seen of it. Just wish it was more optimized for different hardware =)
Bet that will get sorted in a while though

Medi
TBR Officer

Postby Medi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:09 am

meh

needs gvg like gw1 or tombs
True.

For PvE, it is fun but for me (lvl 47 I think) it is getting repetitive. Hearts are basically a combination of kill X and click on Y (whether that means you repair something, pick it up or whatever doesn't really matter to me). Sure, there is some good stuff in there (being turned into a pig - priceless!), but overall they seem kind of uninspired.

Events are fun, but many are also similar. Protect this camp, help John the NPC-hero to reach location Z or kill boss Monster McMeanie. Perhaps in end-game they will become more interesting, I don't know.

Dungeons, I've only done one which is the Ascalon Catacombs (with TBR). Was it fun? Yes. Was the dungeon fun? Kinda. Why kinda? Cause it didn't really feel any different from the regular world except that you were only with 5.

WvW is fun in a small group (4 - 6 probably best) but boring in large groups (lagfest while pounding a gate...). Organised PvP I'm not sure about. I've done some but it doesn't seem to have any tactics. Just run around and hope you end up 2v1 instead of 1v2. Not to mention I'm just not very good at GW2.

Besides all this..I'm still not sure about controls. It is fun to dodge and for your position to actually matter, but I never equip a melee weapon as a mesmer, simply cause I get confused as to what is happening on the battlefield whenever I do that.
In questions of science the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.
Galileo Galilei

Never memorize what you can look up in books.
Albert Einstein

Never memorize what you can look up on the internet.
Medi

Michael Zanetti
Web admin

Postby Michael Zanetti » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:41 am

I mostly agree with medi, I'd like to add some stuff though:

Skills:
Pretty boring cause you have the same skills from when you're level 10 until level 80.
Would be nice to have some more skills where you can choose from for your weapon.
Example: I dont like a sword but always love axe. Then you're limited to the same skills.
(Unless you take hammer aswell etc ofcourse, but still.)

Crowd:
Eventhough I read that the game was sold 2 million times now - I don't really get the feeling GW2 is played much.
Why? Because in GW1 whenever you went to Lions Arch, Kamadan, Kaineng etc, you'd see a shitload of people.
Yes, in GW1 you had instances for every PvE thing. But even in PvE in GW2, I generally walk all alone or I see a max of 4 people cause of an event.

Guild Hall:
Please introduce a Guild Hall. It would be nice to meet your own guildies, now if you would want to meet up with the whole guild you'd get a nice job doing that. Overflow, travellingcost blabla.

Mess Up
TBR Leader

Postby Mess Up » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:23 pm

I agree with the PvE getting repetitive, but I do think I've had an easier time with this as elementalist. The class may have only a few different weapon sets but the attunements mean I can kind of change my play style on the fly without having to change weapon sets or anything, which I like. What is more is that I find all the elementalist weapons actually worth using - with warrior I find that I like a small handful of weapons over all the others, so I'm not really getting as much variety in my skill bar.

PvE: The storyline quests each seem quite unique, but the hearts can be repetitive because the good ones seem to be in the minority. The social aspect of the game is different too - sure you find yourself doing events with random people you've never met, but this isn't really "social" I think because you rarely seem to get any chatting. Instanced PvE gives a more "personal" feel I think and is probably more likely to result in another name on your friends list.

Dungeons: I'd like to try more of this still. There are "explorable" modes that I haven't tried yet and as I understand it this is the same dungeon to the storyline version, but with different enemies, goals, objectives and rewards.

WvW: played some with Nerrad yesterday and it's quite different from how it was in the early stages. Yeah sure it's still a massive zergfest but there seem to be a lot more siege units now and having a commander on the field means a team has focus. But seeing as the only requirement of being a commander is the ability to buy a book from an NPC for the price of 100gold, they don't always seem to make smart decisions... :P

sPvP is "meh". Even if there was HA or GvG I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it. Downed is a shitty mechanic for PvP imo - if you downed a warrior then prepare to be interrupted, mesmers will clone, thieves will teleport, guardians will push you back blablabla too predictable. I would like to try tournaments at least once though.

Medi
TBR Officer

Postby Medi » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 pm

PvE: The storyline quests each seem quite unique, but the hearts can be repetitive because the good ones seem to be in the minority. The social aspect of the game is different too - sure you find yourself doing events with random people you've never met, but this isn't really "social" I think because you rarely seem to get any chatting. Instanced PvE gives a more "personal" feel I think and is probably more likely to result in another name on your friends list.
Yup, that's an important one. I haven't added any new person to my friendslist yet. I did try to team up with someone a couple of times, but after a couple of minutes it is very likely both go their seperate ways (cause there is always something else to do). Not to mention the different moments of entry in the hearts. Sometimes you walk around with another person and while you are only halfway through he already leaves because he's done.

And finally, I don't think there is any 'reason' to team up with others in PvE except that you think it's fun (and perhaps dungeons). Hearts and storyline can be done solo, events are generally too massive and short for you to organise a couple of guildies teaming up. I at least haven't come accross a storyline/heart yet which required a significant portion of the people to try again, unlike GW1 where there were missions (e.g. Thunderhead Keep, Raisu Palace) which required multiple attempts by most people to get through the first time.
In questions of science the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.
Galileo Galilei

Never memorize what you can look up in books.
Albert Einstein

Never memorize what you can look up on the internet.
Medi

Vulcan
Ex-Alliance member

Postby Vulcan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:05 pm

My "final" thoughts on the game are, that I am quite negative about it. I played it two weeks flat during my vacation and had quite some fun with it, but after that I am having trouble keeping interest in it. I don't see me playing this game a lot anymore in a month or 2-3. It is not a bad game as such, but it doesn't come close to the experience I had with Guild Wars 1. There are a lot of small things that are wrong, which can be fixed, but also a lot of big things they can't.

For example the PvE bosses look great and amazing, but when you fight them they just one-shot you and then for the rest they just have a ton of health you have to chip away with your 1 attack. Granted, the dungeon bosses are a bit more interesting, but the cost on the armour repair really holds you back to do some trial-and-error stuff.

Some of the higher/midrange PvE area's I found a serious lack of people, which is a pain, because it has events only (no heart quest) which needs groups of people to complete.

And don't get me started on the storyline, the only fantastic character (Tibalt) they killed off on such a lame way, that is just unforgivable.

WvW, is a pain for me, during the week I can only play on prime-time, which means queuing for ages. I haven't really dived into Spvp yet.

Although I agree that the party system in GW1 for PvE was not perfect and also the monk being needed was a problem, it did give the game it specialness. Being forced more or less with 7 other people did help with the social part. You play with more people now and more random people, but it is very superficial to say the least.

To end with a bit of positive :P
I do like the movement system and I do like to explore the world, the art is amazing, mainly the early area's.

Return to “Guild Wars 2 - General”