Server selection TBA

Discussions involving the main game of the guild.
Michael Zanetti
Web admin

Server selection TBA

Postby Michael Zanetti » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:04 pm

** NOTE ** We have decided to go for Aurora Glade server. If we don't like it, we'll might swap servers within the first few days.

MYST is actively searching for a server to fit all of us (TBR, XU, MYST). As soon as the info is available we'll share it with ya!

So, as people might know. Guild Wars 2 has multiple worlds. Here's some information you might want to know:

Home world
When a player logs on to Guild Wars 2 for the first time they are asked to select a home world. This is the world the player represents in World versus World PvP. How well the world plays WvW determines the bonuses the player receives from the power of the Mists. This is the only advantage to world selection and WvW is the only game type which prevents players from different worlds playing together.

Changing to another home world will cost 1,800 gem and can only be done once every seven days. In addition, after changing to a new home world, players will lose their power of the Mists bonuses until the beginning of the next World versus World match.

Overflow shards
When an area in a world becomes full an overflow shard for that area is created and the player is added to a queue to return to the world. A shard is shared between multiple worlds and players from the same world may not necessarily go to the same overflow.

Guesting
Players will be able to visit other worlds as guests as long as they have friends on those worlds. This feature is free, but guest players will not be able to enter World versus World PvP and the power of the Mists bonuses from their home world will continue to apply to their characters.

Which worlds are available?

I guess nicest would be if most of us are on the same server. What server would you like to pick? Ava, Messup and I have been on Aurora Glade during beta. Wasn't bad at all! But I need your opinion too. Tell me!

Medi
TBR Officer

Re: World selection

Postby Medi » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:35 pm

I think played on Far Shiverpeaks during beta, but I don't really mind. I'll go along with the majority. Especially since I'm unsure how much I'll get/want to play.
In questions of science the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.
Galileo Galilei

Never memorize what you can look up in books.
Albert Einstein

Never memorize what you can look up on the internet.
Medi

Mess Up
TBR Leader

Postby Mess Up » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Unless anyone has any specific preferences, I'm not fussed - Aurora Glade is fine.

Cell
TBR Member

Postby Cell » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:53 am

I have no clue about any of this but I liked the aurora glade outpost, go for it! ^^

Michael Zanetti
Web admin

Postby Michael Zanetti » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:24 am

I guess we'll go with that one then :grin:

Mess Up
TBR Leader

Re: TBR will be active on Aurora Glade server

Postby Mess Up » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:18 pm

The full list of gw2 worlds is now available here.

Also, me and Dark (prompted by XU & MYST) are having a couple of second thoughts about Aurora Glade. MYST seem to be spending a lot of time trying to find a good, WvW-capable English speaking server that doesn't have any of the big non-gw communities on it (such as 4chan). XU will choose whatever world that MYST pick and I think it would be smart for us to follow MYST too, considering how much time and effort they seem to be putting into it.

Cell
TBR Member

Postby Cell » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Are the servers really that different from each other? o.O
*shudders at the thought of a 4chan server*

Medi
TBR Officer

Postby Medi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:58 pm

It seems like MYST has set some good requirements for a server, and I would think that even for those that know no one in XU or MYST their pick would be better than our random choice - so I'm all for going with their pick.
In questions of science the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.
Galileo Galilei

Never memorize what you can look up in books.
Albert Einstein

Never memorize what you can look up on the internet.
Medi

Mess Up
TBR Leader

Re: Server selection TBA

Postby Mess Up » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 am

Oddly enough, MYST seems to have decided on Aurora Glade. Wasn't really expecting it to be honest. XU don't seem too happy with the choice because they think it has too many Russians/Eastern Europeans and they perceive it to be weak at WvW, so they might go on Gandara anyway. I guess we can see how the situation develops before we pick a world but I think we have more links with XU than MYST.

If anyone's interested there is a site called gw2guilds.org where guilds can register their name, size, language etc and which world they're going to be active on. I don't think this should be taken too seriously though - I'm guessing most guilds on that site are just from GW1 and I reckon that most worlds ought to have a pretty even spread of languages after release. Someone from MYST made a summary of all the data and I'm posting it here incase anyone would like to see it.
Abaddon's Mouth [DE]: 100% German
Augury Rock [FR]: 100% French
Aurora Glade: 67% English, 14% Russian
Baruch Bay [ES]: 100% Spanish
Blacktide (unofficial Russian/Polish server): 67% Polish, 13% Russian
Desolation (unofficial UK server): 95% English, 5% split (Largest # of Registered Guilds at any server)
Drakkar Lake [DE] (unofficial RP server (DE)): 100% German
Elona Reach [DE]: 100% German
Far Shiverpeaks (unofficial Dutch/Scandinavian server): 28% English, 21% Dutch, strong Swedish and Danish cohorts.
Fissure of Woe (unofficial Italian server):93% Italian, 7% English
Fort Ranik [FR]: 100% French
Gandara (unofficial UK server): 78% English, the rest is a stew of languages without a dominant second cohort.
Gunnar's Hold: 86% English, 6% Russian
Jade Sea [FR] 100% French
Kodash [DE]: 100% German
Piken Square (unofficial RP server): 84% English, no dominant second language
Ring of Fire: 36% Russian, 22% English
Riverside [DE]: 100% German
Ruins of Surmia (unofficial International English server): 50% English (only 8 guilds IN TOTAL have signed up).
Seafarer's Rest: 52% English, 12% Russian and a real polyglot thereafter.
Underworld: No real dominant language -- English at 24%
Vabbi: 71% Russian, Italian & English at 13% each
Vizunah Square [FR]: 98% French, 2% Hebrew
Whiteside Ridge: 44% Italian, 27% English

Avalanche
TBR Member

Re: Server selection TBA

Postby Avalanche » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Vabbi: 71% Russian, Italian & English at 13% each
Shit makes sense now...

Return to “Guild Wars 2 - General”